Panchayat and Samithi
When Kakathiya and Vijayanagara kings ruled this place, Mangalagiri was a head quarter for the villages near by. Vijayanagara kings donated Mangalagiri to the Lakshmi NarasimhaSwamy temple. At that time, Gramadhikari (Village Officer), Reddy, Karanam, and Ayagandru were ruling Mangalagiri.
In 1802, under British ruling, Grama Panchayat started. In 1930, Grama committees were changed to Grama Panchayat, and were under the control of Taluka Board. Before 1946, Village leader Munsab used to be the President of Panchayat. In 1946, it was cancelled, and from then onwards munsab is only ex-officio member. At that time, Mangalagiri was a first grade panchayat.
The names and periods of Mangalagiri Panchayat Presidents are not available completely. Sri Kosuru Kotaiah (Munsab), Sri Chintakrindi Kanakaiah, Sri Kalangi Venkata Ratnam, Sri Bitra Lakshmi Narayana, Sri Raghavarapu Koteswararao, Sri Vudatha Veeraswamy, Sri Bulla Srinivasarao were presidents of Mangalagiri panchayat. It is said that, Sri Potikalapudi Hanumantharao, Sri Panidepu Sivannarayana, Sri Kandru Sriramulu, Sri Damarla Bhavanarayana were also Presidents of Mangalagiri Panchayat.
Sri Kosuri Kotaiah held the post of Munsab as well as panchayat president. In 1946, Britishers made a rule that munsab cannot be a panchayat president. That's why, he held the post of President till 1946 only. It is said that, after that Sri Bhavanarayana, and then Sri Chintakrindi Kanakaiah became Presidents. From the stone inscription of the memory of Freedom fighters, Sri Chintakrindi Kanakaiah was the president in 1948. After death of Sri Chintakrindi Kanakaiah, Sri Kalangi Venkataratnam became the President. Sri Vudatha Veeraswamy was the President in 1964. After that, Sri Bulla Srinivasarao became president, and he was in that post till 1969.
Sri Chintakrindi Kanakaiah was a big business man, and a politician. He was the prime donor of Chintakrindi Kanakaiah schools. He dealt tobacco, and rice mill businesses.
Sri Kalangi Venkata Ratnam was a simple person, and a famous freedom fighter. He changed the kerosene street lights to electricity lights. He built a park on the national highway in the name of the then minister Sri Kalluri Chandramouli.
District Board - Taluka Board
During the ruling of Britishers, they established District Boards, and Taluka Boards in 1854. It was continued till 1959, when district parishats, and panchayat samitis were established. In 1883-84, in Guntur district, they established 24 schools, 7 hospitals, and 10 public bungalows from local funds. In Mangalagiri, they built one bungalow, which is being popularly known as Kodi guddu bungalow.
On 1-4-1885, District Board is formed with 36 members, and district collector as its President. Guntur Taluka Board was formed with 12 members, and Revenue Divisional Officer as its president. In 1930, tax payers got vote, and started direct elections. Boards were formed for each taluka. From 1944 to 1949, District Boards were under the control of the collector. In 1954, elections were postponed. In 1959, Zilla Parishats were formed, and till that time, they were under the control of Collectors.
Panchayat Samithi, Mandala Parishat
On 2-10-1956, Mangalagiri Community Development Block was formed. In this Block, there were 25 villages in 77.19 sq.miles with 79,723 population. For each block, there was a Block Development Officer.
In 1959, three phase Panchayati Raj System was started. By that, Mangalagiri Block Changed as Panchayat Samithi. In 1987, it became Mandala Praja Parishat. In 1994, it became Mandala Parishat, and it is continuing now. Area of this mandal is 141.27 sq.km, and population is 1,31,151 (Men - 66,295, and Women - 64,856). In this mandal, there are 14 panchayats. Atmakuru, Bethapudi, Chinakakani, Chinavadlapudi, Kaja, Krishnayapalem, Kuragallu, Nidamarru, Neerukonda, Navuluru, Nootakki, Pedavadlapudi, Ramachandrapuram, and Yerrabalem village panchayats are in this mandal.
There are 18 MPTC members in this mandal, and Mandal representative for Zilla Parishat is Sri Balla Srinivasa babu. Mandal Development Officer is Sri Battula Subbarao.
Panchayts and presidents (2006-2011)
|Panchayat Samithi Presidents||From||To|
|Sri Karumanchi VenkataSubbaiah||28-10-1959||21-08-1961|
|Sri Gadde Venkata Rattaiah||22-08-1961||18-07-1963|
|Sri Akula Dharmalingeswararao||19-07-1963||29-06-1964|
|Sri Annapureddy Venkatramireddy||30-06-1964||16-07-1970|
|Sri Gujjula Gangadharareddy||17-07-1970||16-01-1976|
|Sri Nimmagadda Ramamohanrao||09-05-1981||26-06-1986|
|Mandala Praja Parishat President||From||To|
|Sri Nimmagadda Ramamohanrao||24-4-1987||20-05-1992|
|Mandala Parishat Presidents||From||To|
|Sri Rudru Mohanbabu||19-03-1995||05-06-1997|
|Sri Akula Koteswararao||06-06-1997||15-04-1999|
|Sri Rudru Mohanbabu||16-04-1999||17-04-2000|
|Sri Munnangi Gopireddy||22-07-2001||2006|
|Sri Doddaka Nageswara Rao||2006||2011|
|Srimathi Pachchala Ratnakumari||2014||Till Now|
Panchayts and presidents (2001-2006)
|Atmakuru||Sri Komma Nageswara Rao|
|Bethapudi||Sri Tadiboina Nageswara Rao|
|Chinakakani||Sri Yetukuri Gangadhara Rao|
|Chinavadlapudi||Sri Valiveti Vasudevarao|
|Kaja||Sri Appikatla Srinivasa Rao|
|Krishnaya palem||Sri Chintakayala Sambasiva Rao|
|Kuragallu||Srimathi Pallepogu Anita Jasmin |
|Nidamarru||Sri R.Bala Raju|
|Neerukonda||Sri Kuraganti Nageswara Rao|
|Navuluru||Sri Kolli Lakshmaiah Choudary|
|Nuthakki||Sri Bhimireddy Sambi Reddy|
|Pedavadlapudi||Srimathi Paturu Sudha Rani|
|Ramachandrapuram||Sri Avulamanda Venkateswarlu|
|Yerrabalem||Srimathi Akula Jaya Satya|
Mandala Parishat (MPTC) Members (2006-2011)
|Atmakuru||Srimathi Thatha Seshamma|
|Bethapudi||Srimathi Mekala Ramadevi|
|Chinakakani||Sri Marri Venkaiah|
|Chinavadlapudi||Sri Valiveti Vasudevarao|
|Kaja||Sri Eda Nagender reddy|
|Krishnaya palem||Sri Peddi Venkateswararao|
|Kuragallu||Sri Ardhala Srinu|
|Nidamarru||Srimathi Vuyyuru Uma|
|Neerukonda||Srimathi Muppavarapu Samrajyam|
|Navuluru||Srimathi Seelam Swarnalatha|
|Nuthakki||Srimathi Gogula Bharathi|
|Pedavadlapudi||Sri Anne Chandrasekhararao|
|Ramachandrapuram||Sri Kurre Mallikarjuna Reddy|
|Yerrabalem||Sri Palagani Thatharao|
Mandala Parishat (MPTC) Members (2001-2006)
|Atmakuru - 1||Sri Bommu Srinivasa Reddy|
|Atmakuru - 2||Sri Jaladi John Babu|
|Bethapudi||Srimathi Vasa Malleswari|
|Chinakakani||Srimathi Lingeneni Naga Lakshmi|
|Kaja||Sri T.Nageswara Rao|
|Krishnaya palem||Srimathi G.Kamala|
|Nidamarru||Sri Kurra Pullaiah|
|Navuluru - 1||Sri M.G.V.Krishna|
|Navuluru - 2||Sri Mathangi Babu Rao|
|Nuthakki & Ramachandra Puram - 1||Sri K.S.Sitaramii Reddy|
|Nuthakki & Ramachandra Puram - 2||Sri Sankara Reddy|
|Nuthakki & Ramachandra Puram - 3||Sri N.Srinivasa Rao|
|Pedavadlapudi & Chinavadlapudi - 1||Sri B.Srinivasa Rao|
|Pedavadlapudi & Chinavadlapudi - 2||M.Siva charani|
|Pedavadlapudi & Chinavadlapudi - 3||Sri Ch.Rama Subbaiah|
|Yerrabalem - 1||Srimathi Ch.Rajyalakshmi|
|Yerrabalem - 2||Sri Palagani Tata Rao|
|Yerrabalem - 3||Srimathi Janjanam Samrajyam|
|Co-Opted MPTC||Sri Shaik Imam Saheb|
|Atmakuru||Srimathi Jonnakuti Srigowri|
|Bethapudi||Sri Bethapudi Purnachandrarao|
|Chinakakani||Sri Gandikota Srinivasarao |
|Kaja - 1||Sri Pattem Arjuna Saradhi|
|Kaja - 2||Srimathi Arla Dhanalakshmi|
|Krishnaya palem||Srimathi Chiluvuri Seshamma|
|Kuragallu||Sri Mahankali Narayana|
|Nidamarru||Srimathi Kommareddy Seetharavamma|
|Neerukonda||Srimathi Bommina Subbamma|
|Navuluru - 1||Srimathi Kolli Sumathi|
|Navuluru - 2||Sri Epuri Ramesh|
|Nuthakki - 1||Sri Munnagi Gopireddy|
|Nuthakki - 2||Sri Bhimireddy Sambireddy|
|Pedavadlapudi - 1||Sri Bhavana Srinivasarao|
|Pedavadlapudi - 2||Sri Sudhanagunta Venkateswararao|
|Pedavadlapudi - 3||Sri Chittikonda Rama Subbaiah|
|Yerrabalem - 1||Srimathi Akula Jayasathya|
|Yerrabalem - 2||Sri Kolli Lakshmaiah|
When Vijayanagara kings were ruling Mangalagiri, Reddy, and Karanam used to be the officers of the villages. They used to take taxes, and conduct the courts.
Karanam used to write the accounts of the village. Land, and farms were under the control of Karanam. Till 1940, Sri Vunnava Hanumantharao used to be the Karanam. After him, till 1980, Sri Madiraju Venkateswararao, and from 1980 to 1985, Sri Madiraju Ramalingeswararao were acted as Karanam. In 1985, this post was abolished.
In olden age, there was a post called as Reddy. They were also called as Grama Pedda. They used to collect taxes, and conduct the courts. In 1940th decade, Sri Kosuru Kotaiah used to be the munsab as well as Panchayat president. After the act that, Munsab cannot be a panchayat president, He was only a munsab. After Sri Kotaiah, Sri Kosuru Anjaiah, Sri Annam Adinarayana, Sri Kosuru Subbarao, and then Sri Kurra Nageswararao were in that position. This post was abolished long back.